I’ll be chairing the September 2016 meeting of the Planning and Economic Development Committee of Common Council this Wednesday, September 14th, at 6pm in Council Chambers. The big thing on the agenda is the Maguire proposal. Here’s a link to the agenda. A quick run down of the meeting:
Voting to send on to October Council meeting (Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 6pm in Council Chambers):
- Art in Glow mural – Ithaca loves public art. This is a proposal for a glow in the dark mural featuring a dandelion and the Ithaca festival slogan, to be installed on the surface of the Cayuga Waterfront Trail. Groovy stuff!
- Fall Creek Block Party, Neighborhood Improvement Incentive Fund -Neighborhood groups around the city can get reimbursed for community events, like block parties. In this case, we’ll be refunding the costs for a block party in Fall Creek. This is approved at the committee level, so it won’t go on to Council.
- Restore NY Grant Resolution – New York State has a grant program aimed at revitalizing urban centers. We have to choose between two proposals recommended to us by the Ithaca Urban Renewal Agency. See the agenda for more info.
Special Order of Business:
- Public Hearing: Maguire TMPUD Application – public hearing on the Maguire project (see below).
Discussion (with possible action):
- Maguire TMPUD Application – Maguire, the local car company, has submitted a plan to the city to build an auto dealership on Carpenter Business Park, next to the community gardens on Route 13. The plan requires Common Council approval, however. Earlier this year, the Council passed a “temporary mandatory planned unit development” district for the Waterfront area that basically requires any development happening in the Waterfront area to come to Common Council for approval. We did this because we are in the midst of a comprehensive planning process for the Waterfront and we want future development there to fit with our land-use goals. We are continuing our discussion of the Maguire project. The committee could decide to vote to send a recommendation to Common Council, or we could decide that we need more deliberation. See the agenda packet for more info. You can also view Maguire’s application at this link.
Again, here’s the link to the agenda. You can watch a live stream of the meeting here. As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us! Thanks! – Seph